I haven't written in nearly a year. How did that happen? For my 30th birthday here are 30 random things about weird little me...
1. I'm terrified of sinkholes. Really everyone should be. I mean the earth can open up beneath you and swallow you whole, burying you alive, never to be seen again.
2. I have a light freckle on the end of my nose. While we were dating Daniel frequently thought it was dirt and tried to wipe it off.
3. You know those "which state should you live in?" quizzes? I get Texas every time. Every single time, on every quiz, ever. It's always Texas.
4. Things I get weirdly worked up about: wildfire prevention/suppression (against), Red Delicious apples (the carp of the apple world), the county jail part of the criminal justice system.
5. I didn't learn to whistle until I was 15. I finally figured it out while in line for Space Mountain while on a school trip to Disneyland.
6. I haaaaate the sound of pouring liquid. I don't know why. Commercials where they're pouring a drink? Makes me gag.
7. My favorite movie is Waking Ned Devine.
8. If I could have lunch with anyone it would be Leslie Knope or Amy Poehler...or Michelle Obama...or any of about 6 mom friends that it'd be cool to get together with without all our kids. :)
9. My favorite book is Les Miserables. When I was in middle school an adult in my life yelled at me that I was stupid (they were angry about something I'd done). Being angry, hurt, and stubborn I went to the school library the next day, grabbed the thickest book I could find and started reading (because "stupid" people don't read thick books I guess?). I picked up Les Mis. I'm sure part of that love comes from reading Les Mis helping me feel like this person was wrong and I wasn't stupid, but even without that...Les Miserables...I just love it.
10. Speaking of "stupid", I think stupid is one of the meanest things you can call someone. That's why I don't let my kids say it.
11. I've never been pulled over (while driving) or been the driver during a car accident.
12. Second year at BYU I was "pulled over" by a police officer (along with some friends) for longboarding in a private county parking structure in the middle of the night.
13. Whenever I make pancakes I turn on Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams and start with "Banana Pancakes".
14. One of my favorite things about snow is how it makes everything glow at night.
15. I've been working on my undergraduate degree for almost 12 years now. That is concurrent enrollments, not "going back to finish". I've taken a semester off here and there and since Aurelia was born I've been doing 1-2 classes at a time. I worked full-time for all but one year of school until Aurelia was born.
16. I hiccup every time I take my first drink of a soda.
17. I saw Jaws on TV about a week before I started swimming lessons when I was a kid. Around the same time I also learned about barracudas. I was convinced that if I went into the deep end of the pool then a shark would eat me and barracudas would come out of the pipes in the side of the pool. Even now I get really freaked out when I'm swimming anywhere that I can't see the bottom.
18. I was terrified when we found out we were having a girl (Aurelia) because I didn't think I would know how to handle or be comfortable with the whole mother-daughter dynamic. Turns out I do and I am. :)
19. It creeps me out when swimming in a lake and I reach my toes down too far and hit the colder layer of water.
20. Smarties are my favorite candy. Or Giant Chewy SweeTarts...or Cherry Sours...or Peanut Butter M&Ms...I have a sugar problem.
21. I have a small birthmark on the back of my left leg that I was so self conscious about as a kid that I refused to wear shorts until sometime around middle school.
22. One of my all-time favorite songs is Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk by Rufus Wainwright.
23. I want a pet goat. And some ducks. And a small pig. And a few chickens. Plus a bunch of land and a humongous garden. Basically I want a farm.
24. I have weirdly straight teeth for never having had braces.
25. I frequently initiate random dance parties with my little goons.
26. When I'm driving alone in the car during those sweet, blessed, child-free-driving moments, I turn up my "Mama's Jams" playlist (thank you, Amazon Prime Music), sing super loud and dance like a crazy person at every red light.
27. Sometimes I make myself a microwave S'more and eat it while I hide from the kids in the bathroom behind the locked door. The same hiding method works for candy stashes.
28. I still wear a pair of shoes I have from 7th grade. They still fit and don't have holes sooo...they're good.
29. I really like weightlifting and loathe, LOATHE running. Running is the worst.
30. I love washing laundry. I avoid folding clean laundry for as long as possible. A lot of times I'll put a clean load of laundry on my bed thinking "I'll have to fold it to go to bed" but then I go to the bed, see the clothes, pause for a second, then push them all to the floor.